Friday, September 19, 2014

The Power of Reflection


Today in Journalism and the Media we discussed student self-reflection. This will be an important part of ELA2 and build on the skills covered in sixth grade, as well as prepare students for eighth grade and beyond.

Students were able to respond to this prompt:
On your index card, write down two to three thoughts on the following topic:
Student Self-Reflection
Students responded with thoughts such as:
"It lets people set goals."
"Because it can be fixed and it can be made better."
"In student self- reflection you have to answer truthfully so you know what you can do better."
 
At the end of class, students wrote a journal entry responding to the question:
How are you standing out in a powerful way?
"I want to be viewed as a kind, friendly person and nice to every person around me and I want that impression to stick with me forever."
"I always push myself to be the best I can be and better than the person I was yesterday."
"I stand out by always being positive and always having a smile."
We used this video to help spark ideas:

 I hope this class activity sparks a conversation with your child about his or her powerful impact on this world. Have a great weekend!